I like to build things that matter for humanity in the long term. In my first startup (ADA), we explored the relation between human creativity and AI-based machine creativity. ADA was acquired in 2004. I extended that work during my PhD, and found a way to reconcile machine creativity with existing engineering knowledge. Here's the book. In my second startup (Solido), we leveraged AI to help drive Moore's Law, which was under threat due to crazy manufacturing variation. Here's the book. Now, Solido SW is used for most modern chip designs. In my new startup BigchainDB / ascribe, we're working on scalable blockchain technology, and applications to the Internet & IP.
- PhD in EE from KU Leuven, Belgium. Awarded #1 thesis worldwide in the field.
- BE EE and BsC CS from U Saskatchewan, Canada. Awarded #1 final year thesis.
- Did ML research for Canadian Department of National Defense, in the second half of the 90s.
- Wrote 2 Books [1,2] on ML, circuits and creativity. Also 35 Papers, 20 Patents.
- Keynotes & invited talks at MIT, Columbia, Berkeley, JPL, Nvidia, IFA+ Summit, Data Science Day Berlin, PyData Berlin, more. Regular lecturer at Data Science Retreat [link].
- Organize Singularity Meets Self Improvement [link] and co-organize Berlin Machine Learning [link] meetups. Co-organized workshops on ML / circuits [e.g. 1,2,3,4]. TPC / reviewer for many conferences & journals [e.g. 1,2,3,4,5]
- Past projects: painting, BCI hacking, hypnosis, video game programming, surfing.
- Raised in a pig farm in Canada, hacking away on cold winter nights.
- more at LinkedIn